Skip to content




Elgin Community College is committed to offering inclusive, safe, and rewarding education abroad programs to qualified students and community members. All study abroad participants must meet the following minimum eligibility requirements:
  • Age 18 or older by the program start date; and
  • Minimum 2.0 GPA (good academic standing or above required); and
  • No disciplinary record on file with the Office of the Dean of Students; and
  • Strong interest in immersing themselves in another culture; and
  • No outstanding financial obligations to ECC; and
  • Approval and recommendation of home institution study abroad advisor. 
Semester study abroad programs are open to students who meet the following minimum eligibility requirements, in addition to those outlined above:
  • Completion of at least 12 hours of college-level coursework by the intended program start date.
  • Completion of one college writing course, commonly known as English Composition I and/or II (IAI C900, C1901R, C1900R or C1900), or the equivalent, with a B or better.
  • Cumulative college earned grade point average of 2.5/4.0 or higher (unless waived at the discretion of the Associate Dean).
Some programs may have additional eligibility requirements. Semester study abroad students must meet the above eligibility guidelines, in addition to any program-specific supplementary eligibility requirements (e.g. class standing, language requirement, etc.). ECC is committed to student success in study abroad, and all semester study abroad students must meet the above minimum requirements, regardless if a program offered by a partner or consortium has lower eligibility guidelines.

Short-term and summer study abroad programs are open to students who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for study abroad and program specific supplemental eligibility requirements. 

In order to apply to a study abroad program, students must:
  • Schedule a study abroad advising appointment with the Center for Global Engagement.
  • Submit a program application.
  • Submit faculty recommendation(s) (at least one must be from a faculty member).
  • Submit a typed statement of purpose/essay explaining the reasons for participating in the study abroad program. Each study abroad program has a different essay prompt. Hand-written essays are not accepted. 
  • Submit an official college transcript.
  • Submit a copy of their passport. If the student will apply for a passport upon acceptance, a copy of a government-issued identification (e.g. driver’s license, state id) is acceptable.
Some programs may also require additional materials; please check the individual program pages for more specific information.


It is the policy of Elgin Community College to not discriminate on the basis of disability in access to or participation in its programs or activities. Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to assist persons with disabilities. Although it is the intention of Elgin Community College to provide accessible study abroad opportunities to all students, legal mandates to provide reasonable accommodations are not consistent worldwide, and the ability to provide accommodations varies based on destination, need, and the ability of international partners to meet the accommodation request. Individuals who wish to request reasonable accommodation for a study abroad program must contact the Office of Disability Services at least 16 weeks (one semester) in advance of international travel.

Questions regarding eligibility for study abroad programs should be directed to the Center for Global Engagement at 847-214-7809 or We are happy to answer any questions you may have!